Sunday, June 1, 2014

Year of the Monarda

  This spring has been a particularly good year for the Monarda species here in the landscape and in the surrounding areas. We have always had a ton ,here at home, of Monarda punctata, aka Spotted Beebalm, a perennial, but over the last year , I have strived to introduce two more types, namely Monarda citriodora, aka Lemon Beeblam and Monarda fistulosa, aka Wild Bergamot. I have had some success with both. The Lemon is an annual and the seeds are readily available over in the nearby Blackland Prairie, which this plant really likes. The Wild Bergamot is a perennial, which seems to be happier here in the sand and sandy loam of the Post oak Savannah. I dug it in the wild last summer and it surived the move. I have spotted some Citriodora  in the immediate area this spring on some of my hikes, but it not as tall or as colorful as those in the dark soil. I really like a lot of the Blackland Prairie plants, so I have actually dug up as much of the soil as I can get to bring back to put in dedicated beds, so I could have a bit of it here. The bonus is that several other plants came up in that soil. Bluebonnets, Clasping coneflower, Sawtooth daisy and more. Here are some pics of the Monardas in action.

Monarda punctata


Monarda citriodora


AKA Lemon Beebalm

Monarda fistulosa with punctata behind it.



AKA Wild Bergamot . it really is  good looking flower.



Wild Bergamot flanked by two stands of Spotted Beebalm


 

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful plants, I hope mine will look like that someday. Do you ever try them in tea? It's great that you can bring a little prairie soil home and have wildflowers come up instead of weeds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven`t tried them in a tea yet but I plan to. I realize I have a current obsession with Monarda, but i`m enjoying it! I found another today, Basil beebalm , while walking a back road. It makes the fourth variety I`ve identified locally. I`ll do everything I can to propagate it , too. The prairie soil does hold surprises, and some people call those surprises weeds, but I love em! I`ll try to save you some seed from the Wild Bergamot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore monarda and I am seeing mine taking over areas of the garden...when they bloom it will be gorgeous...you have some of my favorites that just won't grow in my wet garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This year has been a near obsession with me and Monarda. I recently identified another one in the wild locally, namely, Basil Beebalm. I`ll post a picture soon of it and I will do all I can to transplant it and gather seed from it. They are a real landscape booster and I have plenty of room for them.

    ReplyDelete