Monday, June 23, 2014

PCF Explosion and Shady Color

   The rains have been plentiful, the temperatures mild, albeit humid, and many of the things I`ve worked on over the last couple of years are paying off. I ran across a huge stand of  PCF on a golf course in Waco in the summer of `12 and was determined to have some for myself. I scattered a huge bag of Eastern purple coneflower seed , that I acquired on Ebay, in a twenty square foot area in the fall of 2012, made a lot of plants in 2013 and finally the goodies in 2014. A large stand of beautiful flowers that should increase every year in a wildscape setting among the various Monardas. It is in a semi-shaded spot back of the swimming pool. Take a look.




     I know I`ve probably complained enough about the flood damage from last October 30th, but opportunity sometimes comes with disaster and the restoration of that section of the pool beds and fence has progressed to a point I don`t mind showing a little. I`m not overly crazy about the fence surrounding the pool, but we were forced to put it in and over time it has grown on me as a way to section off a part of this huge area of land we occupy, not your average suburban  landscape by a long shot. The area of the worst damage, a largely shaded area near the north pool gate has been planted with Hostas, Coleus, Brugmansia, and Dwarf  Mexican petunia along with the surviving Variegated Maiden grass and a Passion flower vine I finally got started sucessfully.


A look back at the area after the initial repair and fill. 11-19-13



June 23, 2014






  I found a stand of Horsetail rush about two miles from my home last week and transplanted some into my Mom`s old wash pot planter and put it in the corner of this same area . Maybe it will flourish.



   I trimmed the Althea- Rose of Sharon last January for the first time since it was planted in 2004. It turned out great and is much more compact and the flowers are dense.



   This is a small wild bed I put in last summer to hold some of my Blackland transplants. The dirt I hauled in there  has produced more than I transplanted, including Bluebonnet, Firewheel, Basket flower, Saw-leaf daisy and blackland sunflower along with the transplants of prairie verbena, Little bluestem and Lindheimer muhly, and the huge number of Lemon bee balm plants that resulted from planting seed I gathered in the wild. A lot of Spotted bee balm appeared here also. There is a slender leaf mountain mint  in the foreground. I found it last week and had no clue what it was and identified on the LBJ site. It is a rather rare plant this far west, however BONAP does show it Freestone County. It smells wonderful! I love to discover new perennials that will transplant.



A closeup of the Mountain mint before I dug it




Butterfly milkweed starting to bloom. This has been a tough one  for me to get going , it came back this year, so I expect it will continue to thrive from here on.


Rains again this morning. I hope all of you are getting some , too. 

6 comments:

  1. I am getting some rain again...your garden near the pool is filling in nicely. I have the horsetail rush near my pond and it just pops up all over...i love it...and that PCF is amazing....you have out done yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That`s so neat that Horsetail rush grows up there. I`m learning more about it. Hostas are a new one for me. The types that I have planted are supposed to be able to take some Texas heat. I hope they do, I really like them for the shade. So far the intense heat has stayed away, a rare circumstance ! Thanks for stopping in and commenting.

      Delete
  2. Randy, that area that washed out by the gate looks great, as well as the rest of the garden. Rain does wonders for a garden. The horsetail should do fine. It is hard to kill and spreads quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pumped about the horsetail. You and Pam had made me want some and had not run across any commercially. Imagine my surprise and pleasure when I spotted it in the wild and accessible.

      Delete
  3. That really is a nicely designed entrance to the pool. I looks welcoming and the fence is not a detraction at all. Your coneflowers do much better than they do here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The PCF`s are just a big thrill for me. I had so much more luck in the long run planting seeds rather than nursery plants.The gardens around the pool are starting to meet my expectations.

      Delete