Monday, May 12, 2014

Slow Recovery

   It`s been a long time since I posted, but it`s been an even longer recovery for my gardens after a tough Winter. I lost a lot of plantings and had damage to many more. Even at this late date we have 40`s predicted for lows again. I don`t recall having temps that low this late, EVER! Some of my seed scattering paid dividends, but some that I just knew would take off in this sand did not appear, even after heavy sowing. The Firewheel, Basket flower, Coreopsis, and Bluebonnets have sprouted well. The Black Eyed Susan is about put on it`s show all over the property. The bluestems took a beating and look awful, even the big bunches in the patches. I remember Michael, of Plano Prairie Garden, having a similar experience a couple years ago. The Monardas are going to be fantastic  and soon. I have three types and I expect a great show from all. I hauled some Blackland Prairie soil to a new bed I created to grow some Lemon beebalm, which prefers the dark soil and the seed I gathered made more seedlings than I needed.. The Spotted beebalm and Wild bergamot like the sandy soil native to my savannah. I`ll post pics of all three when they reach their peak. The vegtable garden has done better than last year and I think one benefit of the harsh Winter is a much lower population of Squash bugs. I hope I`m right about that. They consumed my tomatoes last year. Here`s hoping that cold Winter carries over into a mild summer, with plenty of rain. Lord knows we need it! Here are a few meager pics at what is in bloom around the place today.

Giant Coneflower 


 Firewheel


 Blackfoot Daisy


 Black Eyed Susan ( the first bloom)


 The veggie garden


 Paprika Yarrow


 Veronica



Sad state of Little Bluestem,  I need to do more research ,but I`m not aware of short life cycle for this plant. This transplant had been in the ground and hugely successful for 2 seasons. All of the types of bluestem on my place, except Brushy bluestem, are in this state.

10 comments:

  1. It's nice to see you back. Recovery is welcome, no matter how slow it may be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dorothy, so good to see you , too !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Other than the bluestem your garden looks good. My firewheels are struggling to bloom with the lack of rain and record heat. Maybe this cool spell with rain will still bring them out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi , Shirley, I heard that the Hill Country was really bad this Spring. I would not say that we have had record heat up here, if anything, below normal temps with some warm days interspersed. Big rain moving in as I type. Hope you get a ton of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you found out more about the bluestem? If you do I hope you will post the info because I find this very interesting. I would have expected with their very long root systems that they would live a long time -- like decades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will say this, most of the damage is to transplants I put in the ground 2 years ago. But for 2 seasons they thrived.

      Delete
  6. Sorry to hear your winter was nasty for your garden...but it is good to see it coming back...lots of loss here too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only imagine what it was like for you. I always think of the farmers , back when there was no crop insurance and they were at the mercy of the weather!

      Delete
  7. Most of my LBS are gone now. I read somewhere that they need burning to thrive. Even though I cut mine back every year, it still left stubble that I think slowly choked the grass. Fire would probably do a better job of removing the stubble closer to the ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alas, they won`t let me burn as we are within the city limits. I probably should have just left the stuff alone instead of cutting it back.

      Delete