Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Peak of Fall

   I know the peak of the Fall has come when my Sweetgum blazes with it`s reds , purples and yellows. The Elms, also, are really bright this year from the ,earlier than usual, freeze. We have recovered , to an extent, from the flood damage that occured on October 30-31. The road is repaired, the pool cleaned up,  the fence dismantled, the sink hole filled with scores of wheelbarrows of soil and sakrete. The posts reset, the fence reassembled and more fill. Though I still have more planting soil to add, with winter approaching , I think I have an opportunity to create some plantings that I will like even more than what was lost. Today, the 19th ,is a beautiful 68 degree day and I`ve seen more butterflies on the place than I have all season. I have a huge Eleagnus that is now a screen resulting from the joining of three shrubs I planted years ago. It is in bloom and the sweet smell of its flowers fills the air everywhere and the pollinators of every type are swarming it. Here are a few photos and a video to illustrate what I`m talking about.

Sweetgum


Elm




Back in one piece.





Grasses are maturing, in order, Brushy Bluestem, Splitbeard Bluestem, Little Bluestem, Pine Muhly.







Eleagnus under siege.

video
 
The Ajania pacifica are beginning to put on their flower buds. The butterflies will love them.
 


 
 

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful color. I'm envious. We really don't get that much fall color here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It mostly depends on the temps at night getting cold and the days warm, Dorothy. The color has just come out over the last week.

      Delete
  2. Nice fall tour; your sweetgum is striking, and I remember one I planted in my parents' Denver yard on college break...always orange, some yellow, and burgundy. Your grasses are really nice, especially that Brushy Bluestem - new to me. Pine Muhly - got to try that, as it's a NM native.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael , at Plano Prairie, is the the one who turned me onto it`s existence(Pine Muhly). I found this one at the LBJ plant sale Fall, `12. The Bushy Bluestem is native locally and likes moisture. I transplanted mine from the wild. David.

      Delete
  3. The fall colors have been nice this year. And, I've been remiss in getting some photos.
    Thanks for sharing yours.
    Glad things are getting back to normal at your place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you had some flood damage, too ! We will make it ok. It`s only money. LOL !

      I love Fall, don`t you, Linda? I know the hill country is alive with reds right now.

      Delete
  4. Nice fall colors, Randy. We had quite a show up here too. We must have had all the right ingredients for color this year. Love that pine muhly. Great looks and they reseed, but not aggressively.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never would have known about Pine Muhly without seeing your great example. MIne has not been a fast grower,as I planted it Oct, `12. But it is a showy one when it blooms.What a Fall it has been. Colder earlier and so much rain. Raining again this week and I`ve lost count of the inches received since Sept. 1.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hasn't the fall color been great this year? I have been out collecting leaves like a little kid in awe of the color variations. Glad to see you are put back together. Crossing fingers for a mild winter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I`m not sure i`ve ever seen a wetter one or one with more color. Normally , it`s just so-so here. I agree in that I`m hoping for another mild winter, but if Fall is any indication...LOOK OUT !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Randy your trees are gorgeous...glad to hear that your damage is repaired.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Donna, there are always silver linings. We`ve now had 40+ inches of rain since 9-1. I think the drought has left, ya think? How`s New York? Snowy yet?

    ReplyDelete