Saturday, November 2, 2013

Deluge!

   On Wednesday , October 30th, this small town, Teague , Texas, in which we live, received upwards of 15 inches of rain in less than 24 hours. We live along Turtle Creek, fortunately for us, our house sits on a higher side of the creek about 20 yards from the bank. The flood locally made the national news and houses just a few hundred yards downstream from us were inundated by 3 feet of water.My business also had water inside the building. Our private road that runs about 300 yards to our house ,that crosses a small feeder creek bridge near our home, was heavily damaged and the bridge practically washed out. The worst damage at home was to the fence surrounding our pool. Water coursed deeply toward the creek gullying along one fence row exposing the concrete supports and twisting and warping the fence. Planting beds located there were, for all intents and purposes, destroyed. One saving grace was that the liquified sand  that erupted from the hill above the pool , though flowing like liquid, stopped a couple of feet short of the pool itself, though covering much of the surrounding deck. If it had reached the pool I would have been forced to drain the pool to try and remove it. Below are a few snaps I took this evening, though they in no way show accurately the carnage. However I am still not going to complain about the rain. I don`t think I ever will after the  last 3 years of drought. According to some folks here locally we have received in Teague close to 32 inches of rain since early September with more predicted for early next week. I know many did not receive nearly as much from this system as we did and here is hoping that your personal drought ends also. Nature always shows us who is boss, huh?


Note the piping under the sidewalk and the concrete pineapples and plants dropped 18 inches or so.



 
Anchors exposed and the gate closure reveals the movement.
 

9 comments:

  1. Oh Randy I saw the damage on the news and have heard a bit from other bloggers...glad for the rain but sad for all the damage. It seems to never just be a nice slow amount of weather but intense extremes...glad the damage was not so severe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should not be surprised. Texas goes from one extreme to another. We will recover!

      Delete
  2. My, you get the weather of the Scriptures in TX. I did not know where Teague was located, but I looked it up. I have been to the towns and cities around it. We had one of those Biblical storms this year with heavy rain flooding basements with feet of water. The wind destroyed quite a bit too, but it is rare for our area. Glad we do not have your sand. We have rock and clay. I live on the Niagara Gorge and you would think we never get flooding since that is one mighty big hole in the ground, but when water has no where to go....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I always , when weather damages my gardens, think how the poor farmers felt before crop insurance. We need those stoic people now. Do we ever!

      Delete
  3. Randy, the weather sure has been rough on your garden this year. Look on the bright side. Now you have a nice sandy beach next to your pool!

    We were supposed to get some of that heavy rain last week, but it all ended up to the south. I hope this week's rain does not cause any more problems for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sand, Michael, gives you a good idea of the soil here. I saw on channel 4 this morning that the DFW area had recieved like 8 inches since 9-1. That blew my mind. It seems that every rain we have had since then has been a deluge. I`m still not complaining,,,,,,,,yet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Randy, thanks for visiting my blog, I grew up not too far from you in Bedford, TX. Small world. We moved around Texas quite a bit before settling down in NC. The washout from that flood is incredible. Hope all your plants made it through ok!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, thank goodness for being on the high side of the creek. Is all that mud on the outside only of your pool (I hope?). Feast or famine here in Texas. I would be happy with a little less weather drama for the next 50 years, how about you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree completely , Tufa, the sand stayed about a foot short! Thank God ! Draining the pool to scoop a foot ot two of sand out did not strike me as a whole lot of fun. We have pretty much recovered. Rebuilt the fence and hauled in yards of clay and top soil to fix that. The road is fair. We were more frtunate than some. Good to hear from you !

      Delete