Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Maximilian Sunflower !

   After waiting practically all year for my, transpanted from the wild Maximilian sunflower, to mature, the time is finally here. Hevy rains only eight days apart(THANK GOD !) has brought fresh growth to most of my landscape and prairie patches. I found a huge patch of Max in Mclennan County last fall( Expedition to the Real Prairie) and last February dug several clumps for placement in my prairies and beds. One clump has respnded particularly well due to supplemental watering, which on further research, Max loves. The tallest stalks have now reached 9 feet! I`m really hoping the Monarchs are attracted to it like I saw them last fall on the wild examples, in the hundreds.

   The rain laid some of them over  and the green background hides it a bit, but I still think you can see it reaching high.

There are hundreds of flower buds like this one covering the plant


   I was also really pleased to see that it would transplant into this sandy soil of mine. Often the blackland prairie plants don`t transition very well.

Max sunflower , of course is not the only thing in bloom now.Two plants that appeared in the wild patches caught my attentiona and after a little research was able to ID them as Sand Palafox and Small Palafox. I bought a Texas-Oklahoma seed mix from NAS last fall and though they are not listed in the mix, I suspect they came from that. Either way, volunteer or seed mix, they are interesting.

First, Sand Palafox, followed by Small Palafox and then the two side by side. Note the larger leaves on the Sand Palafox at left.




   The yellows are in full swing now to go along with Max sunflower.

Camphor Weed in the front pocket prairie along with the still blooming Snake Cotton.




Cowpen Daisy, more this year than last.


Esperanza followed by the fast growing bloom of Soft leaf Yucca . The Zexmenia is still blooming strong and crowding the Color Guard Yucca in the foreground . I`m thrilled to see the Soft leaf bloom for the first time. I planted both yuccas ,summer`12, and both have grown tremendously. I`ll try to move the Color Guards further apart this winter . I can`t seem to help myself from crowding plants. So I like full beds, OK?  :)



I have one American Beauty Berry that turned out well this year. The drought  really stressed the rest of my wild growing ones.



Mexican Bush Sage and last ,but not least, Liatris finally beginning to bloom. Happy October everyone, I know all down here are as glad as I am for it to be here at least.






12 comments:

  1. That Tecoma looked so nice that I had to google up some additional info.
    My sunflowers seem slow to fill out... They'll be covered in bloom all the way to the ground... and they're like 10 feet tall.
    Not sure that transplanting is necessarily the way to go with them... I have a big patch of H.angustifolius from where I brought home a buncha stems that I cut back in another garden last winter... I just throw the tops down... Tilling the soil first helps...
    What's the root system look like on your max's? Do they have stolons?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Maximilians seem to produce larger and larger clumps, as they return from roots on a perennial basis. I can`t say for sure that they don`t produce stolons like some do, but I suppose in a way they do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It all looks nice and lush. Amazing what a little rain can do. The less hot temperatures help too. Are the two variegated yuccas Yucca gloriosa? Are they in full sun? I picked up one on clearance last year at Lowes and did not get around to planting it until now. The leaf color on mine seems to fade in full sun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael, I`m pretty sure they are yucca filamentosa "color guard". They turned a sort of reddish hue last winter and I think that is fairly normal. I found out about them reading Pam`s blog , Digging, last year. They have at least doubled in size since I planted them Aug, `12. The temps are so much nicer and the several inches of rain we got the last week of September really helped. Looking at your mini prairie sure evidences that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing how the plants recover when we get rainfall. It just shows how tough they are. Lovely prairie scenes. I like the Max too but the city seemed to prefer having nothing to the large stands that one delighted travelers along Southwest Parkway. Is that color guard with your blooming soft leaf. I must invest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank God for Fall ! Yes, Rose, that`s Color Guard. I intend to do a lot more of it , too. We have Louisiana Yucca all over in this sandy country, but the soft leaf and the Color guard are so much more appealing.

      Delete
  6. My Max is blooming tall about 8 ft and the monarchs would not leave it alone...they lingered for hours on them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, Donna, mine are really fully blooming now and the Monarchs have found it !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Green, lush...then you add those heavy rains, and it's amazing. Just saw Maxmillian Daisy / Sunflower around Santa Fe last weekend, and it is so stunning. Thanks for sharing your garden images, all looks great going into fall.

    The nice thing about Cowpen Daisy, is it can probably outgrow kudzu vine where they meet! No idea it went that far E!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, David, the Cowpen is a spreader but I like it and the Monarchs love it. It shrivels up in the drought then a small amount of water springs it back to life like new.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice Sunflowers, Randy. I like the pink of the Palafoxes, the Sand Palafox has those cute curliqued stamens like I've noticed on dandelions. The cooler weather of fall must be great for you there. Here is too cool now for the regular vegetables, so it is sad to see that end, though the cool season vegetables are happy.

    Previously you said to email you about a seed exchange or some Monarda seeds, I can't email you because I don't have an email program on my computer to open the link, just web-based email, z8hannah8z@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah, the weather is just beautiful. Looking for fairly cold temps tonight(41). That is cooler earlier than last Fall and I`m hoping we will have a colder ,wetter Fall and Winter ahead. I sent a note to your email regarding the Monardas. Thanks, as always, for stopping by. The gardens are even much prettier now and in fuller bloom than when I posted this.

      Delete